A new tool has been added to your Canvas course sites that allows you to view your students’ progress. The tool is in beta testing, so it may contain some bugs.
You can use the tool to see at-a-glance how students are performing in relation to each other on an assignment-by-assignment basis:
This screenshot shows the Analytics BETA interface and the types of information you can look at. The class average has 17 students,8 students with missing assignments, and 15 students with late submissions across the semester. The average grade for this class is 86.5%.
Clicking on any given dot reveals more details about individual assignments, including the name of the assignment, average grade, and counts for missing and late submissions.
You can access Canvas Analytics BETA if you are a teacher, TA, or designer in the Canvas course.
Access Analytics BETA data
To access Canvas Course Analytics BETA data, add it to your course menu.
- Click on Settings in the course navigation menu and click into the Navigation tab.
- Click and drag the Analytics BETA from the disabled menu items into the top section to activate the tool. (Alternatively, you can select Enable from the 3-dots menu next to the Analytics BETA item.)
- Click on the “Save” button.
- To view the analytics, return to the main course page and click on the Analytics BETA link in the course menu.
Canvas Analytics Beta allows you to:
- Look at the average grades of all the students in the course
- Filter average grades by assignment types (assignments, discussions, quizzes)
- Sort average grades by Groups/Sections created in Canvas
- View a table of grades for each individual student
- Download a CSV file of all the data analytics in a Canvas course
- Email data to students who fit a certain criteria (ex. missing an assignment submission) in a Canvas course
Useful Canvas guides
- How do I view average course grade analytics in an interactive chart graph?
- How do I view average course grade analytics in a data table?
- How do I compare the course average chart graph with an assignment, section, or student filter?
- How do I compare the course average data table with an assignment, section, or student filter?
- How do I send a message to all students based on specific course criteria?
- How do I send a message to an individual student?
- Comprehensive list of all guides for Course Analytics