Google Slides just released a new tool that gives you the ability to turn on closed captioning during a presentation. The tool uses speech recognition software that works in real-time to provide subtitles that can be read as the presenter talks. Try turning it on in your next large lecture or presentation.
All you need is your computer and a microphone!
Note: To use the Closed Captioning tool, you must be using Google Chrome as your browser.
How to use
- Navigate to the Google Slide deck that you will be presenting from.
- Turn on Presenter mode by clicking on the “Present” button in the upper right-hand corner.
- Once the presentation is in full-screen, click on the “Captions” icon in the controls toolbar.
- In the pop-up window that appears, click “Allow” to give Google access to your microphone.
- Start presenting! Your words will be transcribed on the screen for the audience to see.
There is also a similar extension available for Microsoft PowerPoint presentations called Presentation Translator. Unfortunately, this tool is only available for PC. Learn more about Presentation Translator and how to download the add-in.