Getting your course websites ready for Spring? There is a simple process for copying one Canvas course into a new course shell.
Note: If you still have your course content in Moodle, LATIS can help you migrate that content into your Canvas course shell. Fill out our migration request form and we will complete them as quick as we can.
Copying Canvas course content
- Access your new course shell, which is automatically assigned to you and appears on your Canvas dashboard at canvas.umn.edu.
- Navigate to the Settings interface from the course navigation menu.
- Click on the “Import Course Content” option from the list provided.
- Choose “Copy A Canvas Course” from the drop-down menu.
- Select the course content you would like imported by searching for it in the drop-down menu shown or in the textbox provided. In most cases, you will want to select “All content” but you can also “Select specific content” if you would like to import only certain parts of your course. If you choose the latter, you will be prompted to select the content you want migrated.
- Click the blue “Import” button on the bottom of the page. It can take a few minutes for the content to be imported. You do not have to stay on this page for the import to complete.
When importing the course content into you new course, you can also use the “Adjust events and due dates” option to fit the upcoming semester. You will be required to enter the beginning and ending dates for the old and new semesters and Canvas will shift the dates to match the new semester. You can even change weekly due dates (from Mondays to Tuesdays, etc.) or remove dates.