Are you looking for a way to have students utilize video recordings within online discussion forums? Flipgrid may be a great option for you to consider!
Flipgrid is an external tool that allows instructors to post discussion prompts and have students submit short video recordings in response. It also creates a thread in which students can continue the dialogues in a discussion format. The platform is FREE to use.
- Navigate to the Flipgrid website and click on “Sign up Today!” in the upper right-hand corner of the screen as shown below.
- Make sure you are making an account within the “Educators” tab. Then, click on the “Sign up with Google” and activate your account.
Creating a Grid
- Click the “New Grid” button.
- Select a Grid Community Type. Click on the drop-down menu provided and choose the “School Email Domain” from the list of options.
- Name your Grid. We recommend using your course number/title. You can also choose a Flip Code and banner image for the Grid if you would like or you can use the ones Flipgrid automatically gives you.
- Enter the school email domain. Type “umn.edu” into the textbox given.
- Click the “Launch my Grid!” button at the bottom of the window.
Creating a topic
- To create a new discussion topic/assignment in your Grid, click on the “New Topic” from the Grid interface.
- Choose a topic title.
- Choose the video response time.
- Type the topic description/question in the textbox provided.
- Click on the “Create Topic” button located in the bottom right-hand area of the screen.
- Flipgrid will then provide you with two URLs: one for your Grid and one for the Topic. Copy the second URL to the Topic you just created.
Making an assignment in Canvas
Create an assignment in Canvas like you normally would and paste the link to the Topic in the description. You will also want to change the submission type to “No Submission” since it will be done through the Flipgrid website. You will have to manually enter in the grades in Canvas after you review them in Flipgrid.
Canvas is in the process of creating an LTI integration for Flipgrid. This will make it much easier to grade these Topics without having to go back and forth between Flipgrid and Canvas.